How 'bout the Commell EMB-564VG then, as an alternative to Soekris? I've seen a few postings that seem to show high regard.

Billl

On Feb 24, 2007, at 3:49, Stuart Henderson wrote:

On 2007/02/23 18:58, William Bloom wrote:
Hmm, I'm rereading the product description for the Soekris lan1621, which would go into my 4801's PCI slot and give me 2 enet ports. It claims 'High
performance PCI busmaster interface with large buffers and interrupt
holdoff'.
Would you have higher hopes for this than the on-board enet ports?

No, sorry. lan1621 and onboard use the same chip.

Do you know whether the OpenBSD 4.0 sis driver would support the
interrupt holdoff feature?

You can modify it to fairly easily, but I didn't find it helping very
much and it increases latency a bit when traffic is low.

Has anyone on this list actually tried a lan1621 on a Soekris 4801 in an
effort to boost performance, and were you satisfied with the results?

Not 1621, but using a half-decent gig nic doesn't improve
performance, I doubt it would help very much. (mind you the gig nic
is designed for a standard system and is unlikely to do very much
interrupt mitigation at such low traffic levels as max out the
Geode cpu so there may be some tuning that could be done, nothing
one-size-fits-all though).

I think if you have sufficient traffic that this is a problem,
you could really do with something faster to leave yourself some
headroom to cater for 'unusual' situations (worm activity, etc)
too. There are quite a few single-board computers to choose
from that might be suitable.

--
William Bloom| Snr Systems Engineer|M P H A S I S Architecting Value | Eldorado Computing 5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400 Phoenix, Az 85016 | Direct: +11-602-604-3100 | Fax: +11-602-604-3115| http://www.eldocomp.com