> > # ntop -i bridge0
> > bridge0: no IPv4 address assigned

and it stops running... try darkstat but read on.

> > Unless I am misunderstanding the concept of a bridge, I don't think a
> > bridge can even have an IP address. Any ideas?
>
> A bridge *interface* can have an IP address,

to clarify - an interface which is a member of a bridge can have an
address, the bridge{0,1,2,...} itself can't.

> Try assigning an address to one of the bridge interfaces
> and point ntop to that interface instead of bridge0.

bpf looks at packets to/from the nic, not the whole bridge.
You need to run two instances, one pointed at each interface,
to see all the traffic. And with this problem with ntop,
you need dummy IP addresses on all the interfaces.

> though that's not a common configuration.

(It's not uncommon either; one scenario is when you have a small
subnet from an ISP, want to place a packet filter between the router
and the LAN, don't want to burn most IP addresses, and want the
filter to be manageable in-band.)