I recently installed squid (squid-2.5.STABLE13-transparent-snmp) from
packages on openbsd 4.0 -release -stable. My squid only uses 29M.

15707 _squid     2    0   27M   29M sleep    poll    12:38  0.98% squid

This top 'snapshot' has been taken at a peak moment. We have a 10Mbit/s
internet connection and when using squid, no slow performance. I do not
use the cache option of squid (just wanna log everything for now).

So it might not be that strange for Squid to take 90M. When you disable
squid, do you still have poor performance? When you disable the cache,
do you still have poor performance? What is your definition of poor
performance and how did you establish a baseline?

Dmesg partial:
OpenBSD 4.0 (GENERIC) #1107: Sat Sep 16 19:15:58 MDT 2006
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 1 GHz
cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,
MMX,FXSR,SSE
real mem  = 1072914432 (1047768K)
avail mem = 970698752 (947948K)

Nils