"Siju George" writes:
> Hi,
>
> The dmesg Output Shows
>
> Clean: Yes
>
> for both Raid Components as shown below

> raid0: Component /dev/wd0d being configured at row: 0 col: 0
>          Row: 0 Column: 0 Num Rows: 1 Num Columns: 2
>          Version: 2 Serial Number: 200612010 Mod Counter: 820
>          Clean: Yes Status: 0
> raid0: Component /dev/wd1d being configured at row: 0 col: 1
>          Row: 0 Column: 1 Num Rows: 1 Num Columns: 2
>          Version: 2 Serial Number: 200612010 Mod Counter: 820
>          Clean: Yes Status: 0
> raid0 (root)

> but raidctl shows
>
> Clean: No
>
> as shown below
>
> Could Some one tell me why this is so?
> it is the same state even after reboots.

The value "Yes" or "No" comes directly from the component labels on the
disks.

If the parity is "known good" (i.e. the set is "clean") when the RAID
sets are unconfigured (actually, when the last open partition is
unmounted), then the value in the component labels will be set to "Yes".
When a RAID set is configured and a partition is opened/mounted, the
value is the component labels will be set to "no".  And so unless
things get unmounted/unconfigured correctly, the value will remain at
"no" until the parity gets checked.

What you are seeing here is:
 a) the values reported by dmesg are from *before* any partitions on
raid0 get opened.  So if the RAID set was "known clean", you'll see a
value of "Yes" printed for each component, because that's what they
got set to at the last shutdown/unmount/unconfigure/etc.

 b) the values reported by raidctl are from *after* a partition on
raid0 has been opened (even 'raidctl -vs raid0' ends up opening
/dev/raid0c or whatever, resulting in that clean flag being changed
from "Yes" to "No").  So it will always say "No" here, since that
will be the current value in the component labels.

> Which one should i beleive?

Both of them :)  They are both correct for the time at which they are
examining the datapoint in question.  That said, the line to really care
about is this one:

 Parity status: clean

> Is the Raid not working properly?

It's working just fine... just probably telling you a bit more than
you really wanted to know :)

Later...

Greg Oster