On Mar 5, 2007, at 2:52 PM, mrs borhtej wrote:

> Unfortunately, I didn't have him show me what's what while he was
> still
> able, and I have only used this OS as a desktop user. I CANNOT go
> back to
> Windows. He unplugged his mail and webservers before he passed
> away, and I
> need to know how in the world do I figure out what's what with this
> LAN?

1. Every basic thing you need to know about setting up and
maintaining an
OpenBSD-managed LAN is documented in the OpenBSD FAQ q.v.

2. The three basic things about a typical OpenBSD-managed LAN are:
        a. IP setup of both the OpenBSD box and the LAN ('ifconfig' etc.)
        b. Packet filtering and Network Address Translation ('pf' etc.)
        c. Name services ('bind').

Also, you might have DHCP in the mix to give other boxes on the LAN
their IP addresses as needed instead of allocating them permanently.

Read about those in the FAQ, compare to what you see in your setup,
make yourself a map of your LAN with all the boxes and their IP
addresses, and you can probably keep it running for some time to come!

--
Jack J. Woehr
Director of Development