Hi everyone,

I'm at my wits end here with this and I don't know who to ask..

For about a week now my OpenBSD router has been acting up in the strangest ways. Route's dissapear, ethernet speeds crawl to a halt and other wierdness.. I'm about to wipe this box clean and start from scratch but I would really like to try and figure out what's going on first..

I don't know if it helps if I describe some of the symptoms..

I'll try and draw a diagram first if I may...

ISP1        ISP2
 |               |
 |               |
 |               |
dc1------- dc2
 |   obsd3.9   |
 |                   |
 |-sis0--dc0--|
   |        |
   |        |---------DMZ
   | ---------    10.110.38/24

Interface dc0 is bridged with interfaces dc1&dc2

Firstly, and perhaps most alarming....

When I run the iperf utitlity between the router and a system on the network I get about 3Mb/s throughput. When I run it between a system on the DMZ and the router - the same thing. I tried disabling pf and get the same results. Running iperf between the boxes on the LAN I get proper results - of course.

My only ideas are 1) failing NIC
                           2) NIC Drivers??
                           3) routing issues?

The second symptom is that periodically my vpn will drop throughout the day - corresponding with this (I think) whenever I run a continual ping to somewhere(anywhere) on the internet it will work fine any number of times but then it'll stop - sit there and hang for 10 seconds perhaps and then start back up

IF it is a failing NIC - could one bad NIC make the others act up (interrupts?)

I'm not sure I made myself very clear on this - I'm having a very hard time tracking this down. Any ideas or suggestions on investigation this would be appreciated.
Any beautifully simple solutions even more so :)

I REALLY want to figure out what's going on instead of simply wiping the box clean. Think of all the knowledge value :|

Thanks a lot...

Steve Glaus