On 3/10/07, Sunnz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong... but I thought that if the same
source and make file etc. was used, the kernel that was used to build
it is irrelevant, i.e. the same version of gcc running or newer and
older version of kernel should ultimately 'spit out' the same binary,
given the same source, makefile, etc.?? No?

BTW, `make build` has been completed, on the new kernel, new userland,
without errors.

[...]

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here.  The "rules" STeve
stated apply if you track -current, which is not what you do.  There
are never any flag days on -stable and no snapshots.

If your system crashed (as in kernel panic) while building -stable on
a -release system I would start to investigate the hardware (depending
on the exact nature of the crash).  If you get compilation errors then
most likely you did something bad.

At this point since we have no details on the error you obtained (or
even which arch you are on), I can not help you further.  As for
having a stable system, if you sucessfully build the userland and the
kernel from the same sources without rebooting or voodoo in between,
you should be fine.

--
I'm trying to launch the internet; so I open a terminal and go
"percent sign 'Internet'" at the prompt and it doesn't work. What