On 3/15/07, x x <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I on

> Ok, I'm using 4.0 from the FTP install for the sets, I still have find

> how to get the ports installed, and wanted to see if, and how, to get K

> 3.5.6 installed, or should I just use what's ever in the ftp directory

> for 4.0.

So you don't even have a system installed yet?

Go read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html, twice.

Once you're set up, run `man pkg_add` and read it.

Also, there is no gaim2 port for OpenBSD, as far as I know. You're

stuck with gaim1.5 like the rest of us.

-Nick

I have it installed, the sets and that, but no ports or anything. I have
to add a user and all that. I don't use my computer for anything on the
net right now, want to install KDE so I can do all the net\webmail and
music\video stuff I usually do. And for gaim, there's
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/gaim-2.0.0beta6p2.tgz
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/gaim-2.0.0beta6p2-gtkspell.tgz

Oh! Thank you very much for pointing that out, it's nice to know it's coming.
But it's not in 4.0's ports, but that means it will be in 4.1 which is
coming out soon enough. You won't be able to install these new
packages unless you run 4.1 either via snapshots/-CURRENT or waiting
for it to come out. It's best to wait for it to come out. In a couple
months you'll want to reinstall anyway because you'll have gotten
through all your setup and realized something isn't right, and by then
4.1 will be out.

Ew, you want to pull in all of KDE for webmail and "music/video"?

By the way, that newbies list can be subscribed to at
http://mailman.theapt.org/listinfo/openbsd-newbies.
<Openbsd-newbies@sfobug.org>

-Nick