On 3/16/07, Karel Kulhavy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks, this is a much better explanation than in FAQ sec. 5. The explanation
in FAQ doesn't mention the fact that not only the -current, but also the
-stable is a moving target, though a slowly moving one.

Now I have 4.0-release and want to have a fixed kernel (4.0-stable). Which
version of sources should I download then? 4.0-release or 4.0-stable?

Are you tracking release + patches, or are you tracking -stable?

That should tell you. If you're tracking -stable, you want to get "the
sources" (which are essentially only built at release) and use CVS to
update to -stable. As you know from reading stable.html, -stable
contains the lastest security errata (and more) for your release.

You'll want to read more - stable.html, anoncvs.html, large swaths of
the FAQ, etc.

DS