Hi,

  sounds like the soekris is saying the sil3114 is more important.

Does the hardware decide precedence other than choosing the drive to boot off? Because it chose the CF for that which is correct.

>   perhaps the maxtor drive also has a valid bootable partition at
>   the front and that is what you are ending up booting off of?

New drive straight from the anti-static bag.

>   i don't think you can modify attachments with config(8), but
> similar to what raidctl(8) talks about in the scsi-disk-plz-donut-renumber
>   section, maybe you make a kernel in which you hardcode wd1 to be
>   at pciide1 before the wd* at pciide* part?

I can't find that in raidctl(8) but I imagine you mean something like this in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf ?

# IDE hard drives
wd*      at wdc? flags 0x0000
wd0      at pciide1 flags 0x0000
wd*      at pciide? flags 0x0000

Seems like a slightly bizarre solution that won't work when I add a second drive because new drives on that controller would probably come first and make my boot drive wd2.

Dammit boot drive, stick up for yourself! :)

Or you could try switching the connectors around.

One is a CF slot soldered onto the motherboard, the other is an expansion card in pci slot.

Thanks for the help, but is recompiling a custom kernel every time i add/remove a disk the only option?

Brad.

Mortgage refinance is hot 1) Rates near 30-yr lows 2) Good credit get intro-rate 4.625%* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5f&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=743