James Turner wrote:
Although this seems like a great printer, my biggest limitation is price.  We
have a university property disposition near me, which I'm going to go check out
later today.  My friend has gotten a couple sun sparc stations from them for
under $20 bucks.  I'm hoping they will have some cheap laser printers.  Thanks
for your recommendation.

A used small-office laser is probably a better bet, but if you want cheap there's always the Dell 1110 (http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Dell-1100_Laser_Printer) and from what I see it looks like it should work with some configuration.

Of course, Bob's right, getting a Postscript printer (or even PCL) is the way to go. I got a Dell 3100CN for ~$US260 shipped a while back, so keep your eyes peeled. It'll be a long time before I need another printer.