On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 22:37 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a 486DX4-100 with 32 MB ram, ISA bus, with two drives: 840 MB
> and 1280 MB IDE.  Currently running Debian GNU/Linux Sarge.
[...]
> Debian Etch will need more than 32 MB ram so am starting the planning.
>
> I've compared Open-, Net-, and Free-BSD (via google search and reading
> the three web-sites) and like the security-by-default nature of Open-
> and its reputation for solid documentation.  I'm used to the command
> line (hate GUI) and vi.
>
> Is there any reason that OpenBSD wouldn't be my best choice for this
> box?

Assuming you don't try to do more with it than you have CPU and RAM for,
you should be fine. However, once you've tested that all your hardware
works with the GENERIC kernel, I would strongly recommend you compile a
custom kernel and run that (do a Web search for a Perl program called
dmassage which will help immensely), but keep a copy of GENERIC around
in case problems do creep in. The reason for compiling a custom kernel
in this case is to save memory; I saved about 2.5M on a similar system,
which is a lot when you only have 32M to begin with (with any system
much newer it's usually not worth it).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>