On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 06:36:34AM -0700, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> > I don't. I want it to be done as soon as possible.
>
> If you want your build done as soon as possible, then you would use
> nice(1) as root to have the build process run at a higher priority and
> hence receive more processing time.
>
>       # nice -n -20 make build

I shouldn't EVER use absolute terms ;)

On the boxes I deal with (from old & slooow, to pretty darned fast) I'm
happy to let the build process run as is. None of my production machines
are close to the edge on performance, and continue to be responsive
enough during builds. Having watched top & friends during builds I don't
think I'd get much out of nicing -20 except for worse performance on the
production services.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/