On Sunday 25 March 2007 09:27, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2007, at 12:21 PM, J.C. Roberts wrote:

> >> There may also be future vulnerabilities in physical ethernet.
> >> Guess you'd better unplug now!  ;-)
> >
> > Future? -Nope. It's been already done.
> >
> > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70619-0.html
> > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,70908-0.html
> >
> > Though the example is not formally "ethernet," physical access to
> > the "tubes" still means you should consider yourself 0wnd.
> >
> > But bofh is kinda right, arp-cache poisoning (possibly the "thing"
> > he was talking about?) is really very interesting.
>
> The topic was in regards to VLAN security.  Arp-cache poisoning, or
> spoofing (as I already mentioned) has nothing to do with VLANs.
> Unless either of you have anything relevant to add with regards to
> the OP's question about single-homed routing, I suggest we move on.
>
> Thanks,

Strange... ? -As far as I know, arp-cache poisioning and spoofing are
still relevant even in VLANs (see below), and single homed routing
might compound the known problems, so the OP should do a bit of reading
before accepting VLANs as an answer.

Title: "VLAN Security Guidelines"
http://www.corecom.com/external/livesecurity/vlansec.htm
[QUOTE]
VLAN switch configurations and deployments have been vulnerable to a
number of spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks. The most well known
exploits include the following. (Links at the end of this article lead
to detailed descriptions.)

    * MAC address spoofing
    * VLAN tag spoofing (where the attack computer falsely identifies
      itself as a member of a VLAN by spoofing the IEEE 802.1q tag )
    * ARP cache poisoning
    * Connection hijacking following a successful ARP attack (see HUNT)
[/QUOTE]

The sad part is even if all such issues have been addressed in OpenBSD,
the attacker would go just after the switch which is probably not
running the latest and greatest firmware (assuming the vendor has
bothered to fix the issues and is still offering "support" for the
device and the admin has bothered to install it). There are probably
other ways to attack it...

Can we use OpenBSD to get around the vulnerable switch problem? How?

(Hark! -I think I hear the infamous "wooshing" sound of a quickly
approaching clue stick)

Since you know real world usage of VLANs far better than most (and
certainly better than me), your insights on using OpenBSD to properly
secure VLANs seem totally MetaBUGable!

kind regards,
jcr