Marco,

Thank you for your reply.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 12:52:18PM +0200, Marco Pfatschbacher wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 04:35:31PM +0100, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> [...]
> > - We are using stock OpenBSD 4.0 for our test.
> [...]
> > Without running ifconfig(8) too often, the convergence time is a
> > few seconds but we managed to increase the delay up to 2 minutes
> > with this trick.
>
> This is fixed in 4.0-stable, which you really should be using.
>  (see http://www.openbsd.org/errata40.html#m_dup1).
>
> Either update via CVS or apply this patch:
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/netinet6/in6.c.diff?r1=1.68&r2=1.68.2.1

Thank you for this information.  I'm using stock 4.0 release for
testing purpose and I don't intend to use it in production.

> Btw, you might consider using ifstated(8)
> instead of scripting sth w/ ifconfig(8).

I don't understand what you are saying here.  I explicitely showed
the commands which can lead to my setup.  They are usually handled
by netstart(8) and hostname.if(5).

Moreover, I don't really see the point in using ifstated(8).  As far
as I understand, net.inet.carp.preempt matches the problem by
raising advskew to 240 on all carp(4) interface whenever there is a
failure.  ifstated(8) would be useful if I had to run something
upon state change.  Am I wrong ?

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen