apologies if this has been covered in the past, I searched on this and couldn't find anything, although i'm sure it's the wording i'm using.

My question is. I have OBSD 4.0 running on an Asus p3b-F with 6 pci slots that i'm wanting to use as a router/firewall. I have 5 fxp interfaces in the machine inserted starting from the bottom pci slot up. When the machine boots up it finds them just fine, but I never know what order the cards are in. (i.e. fxp0 was in the third slot as opposed to the first or last slot populated with a card, as i would have expected). Is there a way to hard code this into the hostname.fxpN file, as to assign the number of the interface based on the hardware address as opposed to the ordering of the cards in the machine? I looked in the man page for hostname.if but saw no way mentioned.

A second related question, in the above example, how exactly does OBSD choose the interface number? I was under the impression it used the slot to assign the interface number which is why i was so surprised to see that fxp0 the third slot, fxp2 was in the top (occupied) slot and fxp4 was in the bottom. I have all of the pci slots set to auto in the bios if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron