On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 08:26:29PM -0400, Julian Leyh wrote:
> Another problem with this Thinkpad is that the CPU speed is not detected
> properly on boot. You'll see the strange value in the attached dmesg.
> The value seems to be random after every reboot. Only if i detach the
> power supply it will be constantly 499MHz. The CPU installed is a 650MHz
> Pentium III mobile with speedstep. I couldn't see any difference in
> speed for the different detected speeds (using 'openssl speed').

I had the same issue on my X21. SpeedStep in its first incarnation
is currently not supported in OpenBSD on the PIIX4 chipset.

You seem to have that chipset:

> pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev
0x00)

Can you try the following patch and let me know if it makes
SpeedStep work for you?

http://stsp.in-berlin.de/piixpcib/piixpcib-2007-03-24_3.diff

Examine the hw.cpuspeed sysctl. The dmesg may still report CPU speed
incorrectly.

Also please read the man page that comes with the patch.

After applying the patch add these lines to your kernel config
and recompile your kernel:

piixpcib* at pci?
isa* at piixpcib?

Thanks,