On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 12:20:53PM -0700, christian johansson wrote:
> I know PF can do simple round-robin balancing to these machines, but I want
> something that can take the load of the apache running machines into
> consideration and shape the traffic sent to them accordingly.
>
> Would it be a good idea to use apaches own loadbalancing module, the
> mod_proxy_balance, and run instances of apache on the openbsd machines?  I'm
> assuming this would mean that I have to compile apache2 myself, right?

Well, apache2 is in ports/packages, so not necessarily.

> Or can anyone suggest a better way to do this?

Some people on this list speak highly of pound.  I haven't used it myself
yet.

I like haproxy.  I've run it in an 80,000 (mod_perl-generated) page per hour
situation on nothing more than simple desktop hardware and it Just
Worked(tm).  There's no port, but I know someone who made one and could
pester him to post it. :)

Now that was a while ago.  If I was doing it again today, I'd seriously look
at the built in hoststated and pf.  That work looks exciting.

Now you have even more options to confuse you. :)

-Dan

--
"Burnished gallows set with red
 Caress the fevered, empty mind