thanks for the replies -- I actually got a real time caller who helped
me check various items until we narrowed the problem down further. Got
the connection back manually.

1. 3.5 vs 4.0
I've just ordered the 4.0 CD's and as soon as they arrive I'll build a
machine with 4.0 on it and hope everything gets back to normal. But in
the meantime I still want to identify and fix the current problem.

2. 192.168.1.1
this is the address of the Covad modem's DHCP server -- not of the
external NIC (ne3)

3. the problem seems to be that the Covad DHCP server is not providing a
gateway IP address. Or possibly the dhclient is not accepting one. At
least, by using the netstat -rn command we found no default route. This
means that nothing gets out the door.

4. Manually adding the default route makes the firewall work again:

add net default: gateway 66.166.238.1

so the question is why is no gateway getting passed from the DHCP server
to the external NIC? I am examining the dhclient.conf file to see what I
can do with that.  I have no /etc/mygate file in place which seems to be
consistent with the documentation for mygate:

/etc/mygate contains the address of the gateway host, if it exists.
The gateway is added to the routing tables by the route(8) utility.
If  /etc/mygate does not exist, no default gateway is added to the
routing tables.  The file should contain a single line specifying the
gateway address, in dotted quad notation (e.g. 192.0.2.0).
/etc/mygate is processed after all interfaces have been configured.
It will therefore override any DHCP-supplied
default route information.

Steve DiBartolomeo
Artwork Conversion Software, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]