On Monday 02 April 2007 09:33, Eric Dillenseger wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:44:46AM -0700, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a Dell 20 inch monitor and it works fine with it's native
> > > 1680x1050. I had to tweak the Modeline manually but eventually
> > > got it to work. On a oldish S3 card though. But it just might
> > > work for you too.
> > >
> > > Section "Monitor"
> > >
> > >         Identifier   "Monitor0"
> > >         VendorName   "DEL"
> > >         ModelName    "DELL 2007WFP"
> > >         #HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
> > >         #VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
> > >         Option      "DPMS"
> > >
> > >         ModeLine        "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" 119.0 1680 1728 1760 1840
> > > 1050 1053 1059 1080 -HSync +VSync
> > > EndSection
> >
> > Monitor timing/sync is hardware specific and in some cases, if you
> > get it wrong, you can do permanent damage to your monitor.
> >
> > Use gtf(1) to probe your hardware to figure out timings/sync for
> > your desired resolution/refresh, and then do a sanity check of the
> > reported values against the hardware documentation.
>
> Hi,
>
> Now I have it working with the right resolution, but I can't go over
> 16bit colors. My photos don't look very good but at least it works
> for most common tasks. Or perhaps it isn't even 16, anyway.
> I'm wondering why X doesn't handle 24 bit, even with videoram
> defined.

Weird... X can handle 24 bit color just fine.

My first guess is your graphics card (the "oldish s3" you mentioned),
doesn't have the muscle to power both the high resolution *and* the 24
bit color depth, so X is smartly lowering the color count when the card
complains.

There are a lot of "odd" resolutions which monitor vendors use which are
not necessarily fully supported by graphics card vendors. For example
your graphics card might support 1600x1000 resolution at 85Mhz with
24-bit color but if you try 1601x1000 resolution at 85MHz with 24-bit
color, the graphics card will either not work at all, or it will
downgrade the MHz or color depth.

Your monitor wants to use one of these "odd" resolutions, namely
1680x1050. It can be a pain in the ass to figure out what will work and
you will need to read the documentation for both your monitor and your
graphics card to figure out exactly what each will support.

kind regards,
jcr