On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 02:54:03AM -0600, rc wrote:
> Let us know if you get this working.  I would love to run OpenBSD on
> my switches.  PF running at wire speed would be beyond awesome.

Oh please. A managed switch is not even closely able to run PF especially
those cheapo Linksys thingis with a massivly under powered ARM CPU with
probably a hopping 64M RAM.

Switching chips are built for switching packets. They read the mac header
and managed switches the vlan header. Expensive Layer 3 switches will
read the dest IP header. These infos are used to do a lookup in a CAM
table and based on that result forwarding is done. The CPU will only see
packets that can not be handled in HW (e.g. because there is no CAM
entry).

Even the most expensive Cisco/Foundry/Extreme switches have not the CPU
power to route or filter packets.

Sure you could use a good L3 switch chip and combine it with a modern CPU
(amd64 or core 2 duo) but that's an other story.
--
:wq Claudio