From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Marcus Watts
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:19 AM
To: Don Smith
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: Serial Port Network

Don Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have 2 older desktop computers (old Pentium 1 processors), ...

slip or ppp.  You won't be doing much file sharing this way though,
unless you're *very* patient.

usb doesn't do peer<->peer networking, so I don't see what
good that does you.

You'd be *much* better off buying a brace of ethernet cards.
ISA <-> 10 megabits cards should be nearly free.  You'll also
have to score some thin-net cable and terminators.  Alternatively,
you can get twisted pair cards.  If you have PCI bus machines you
can do better, but that probably postdates your machines.

You probably don't need a console except for maintenance.
You can just swap monitors for that.  You could set up a serial
console & tip, but it's not worth it unless you have some other
reason you want it.  You probably don't want to run ppp on your
console port.

                                -Marcus