Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> (em1) as up and few seconds later I mark the same interface down. My
>> network usage drops significantly, currently I am looking it shows 75%.
>
> Do you mean interrupt%? bsd.mp will probably drop that *way* down.

No, memory management routines (netstat -m). Are you saying I should try
with bsd.mp kernel with a single core cpu (opteron 146)?

> You may need to also disable USB (may have been one of the things fixed
> by moving to either acpi or a newer bios, I don't recall).

Damn....I was speaking too fast, it just locked up again. This time
after 38 hours, it is an improvement, though.

> Most of mine are on original bios, -current from around the time 4.1 was

It is a production router so I can't update to current just now, at
least until I get a backup. I'll try to update bios later today.

> tagged, with acpi on, USB off. They don't crash any more, but I have
> recently noticed some odd problem with packet loss with the onboard
> bge(4) though; if I ping *from* the h8ssl to another box there's no
> trouble, if I ping from elsewhere to the h8ssl I get periods of a few
> (1-10) minutes at a time with usually an hour or two between them
> where there's 0.5 to 1% loss, a couple of RTM_LOSING, and sometimes
> bad enough to cause bgp hold timers to expire on the ibgp sessions
> to other h8ssl boxes.

I could try that on my box...

> the diff to if_em.c is 1000 lines. Some of it's PCIE support, but
> there's plenty else.

I will made an update as soon as possible.

> The one I have with em(4) works absolutely fine now.

Good to know.

Thank you for you hints.

Mitja