On 25/04/07, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 10:40:45PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:19:42 +0000 (UTC)
> Tobias Weingartner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Chad M Stewart wrote:

> > >  This can be used as a covert communication channel.  Allowing
> > >  internal IPs to send/receive ping is bad.
> >
> > Bull.  Not allowing ICMP is just as bad.  Worse actually, as you
> > are violating RFCs.  Quit spreading this FUD.
>
> hi,
>
> actually, me thinks the same about allowing/denying ICMP as you,
> tobias. however, we recently had a CCIE/NSA certified blahblah guy in
> our company, tuning our, err, Cizcoooeee equipment.
>
> guess what he did -- he violated 'the RFCs'.
>
> unfortunately, i wasn't able to find them on the net. do you have them
> handy? i'm very curious about that :)

In general, though, it will almost always be possible to get data in/out
of the network. IP-over-DNS comes to mind. If this particular vector is
used by a widely deployed worm, it might be worth it; but otherwise,
just ignore it.

Do you intend to ask where 'the RFCs' are? (If so, www.ietf.org is a
good choice.) Or in what RFC this particular requirement is? (No real
idea...)

I didn't expect it to come that easily, but google was helpful here:
RFC2979 has this:

3.1.1.  Path MTU Discovery and ICMP

  ICMP messages are commonly blocked at firewalls because of a
  perception that they are a source of security vulnerabilities.  This
  often creates "black holes" for Path MTU Discovery [3], causing
  legitimate application traffic to be delayed or completely blocked
  when talking to systems connected via links with small MTUs.

  By the transparency rule, a packet-filtering router acting as a
  firewall which permits outgoing IP packets with the Don't Fragment
  (DF) bit set MUST NOT block incoming ICMP Destination Unreachable /
  Fragmentation Needed errors sent in response to the outbound packets
  from reaching hosts inside the firewall, as this would break the
  standards-compliant usage of Path MTU discovery by hosts generating
  legitimate traffic.

  On the other hand, it's proper (albeit unfriendly) to block ICMP Echo
  and Echo Reply messages, since these form a different use of the
  network, or to block ICMP Redirect messages entirely, or to block
  ICMP DU/FN messages which were not sent in response to legitimate
  outbound traffic.

  [3]  Mogul, J. and S. Deering, "Path MTU discovery", RFC 1191,
       November 1990.

                Joachim

--
TFMotD: kadmin (8) - Kerberos administration utility

--
viq