On 4/26/07, Douglas Maus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 03:33:47AM +0000, Douglas Maus wrote:
> > Is it possible for users (non-root) to mount NFS exports?

Mike Erdely responded:
> From mount_nfs(8):
> HISTORY
>      The -P flag historically informed the kernel to use a reserved port
>      when communicating with clients.  In OpenBSD, a reserved port is
>      always used.
>
> This means to me that you will always have to be root to use mount_nfs.
> Unless I'm missing something.

Alright, I'm confused - if you cannot use a reserved port unless you are root,
thus you have to be root to use mount_nfs, then why is there a mountd option -P
to tell the kernel to use a reserved port? Unless even root needs to tell the
kernel
not to use a default unreserved port, but rather use a reserved one.

Well, read what you quoted:
"The -P flag historically [...]"

It's there for compatibility.