On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:05:36AM +0100, John Huss wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out if one (or any) security patches have been
> applied to an OpenBSD 3.9 host.
>
> In particular, I've just applied the 015_ssh.patch and ssh -V still
> gives the same version.  I noticed uname -a output changed from
> '...GENERIC#617' to '...GENERIC#0' though but didn't understand that.

An ssh patch would not change the kernel.
The ssh patch also does not change any of the version information in the
code, so that wouldn't change either.

> Is this the same with any patch? or is there a different way to tell if
> it's applied, per patch?  Any advice on how to find out if a security
> patch has been applied would be very appreciated.

If you're using the same source tree, try to apply the patch again.  If
it applies, you did not previously apply it.  If you're prompted whether
you want to reverse the patch or not, you did apply it.

Whether you built and installed is a different story.  It wouldn't hurt
to "make; make install" again, just in case.

Of course, 3.9 is no longer supported as of today.  Upgrade to 4.1.

-ME