Stuart Henderson wrote:
kill is a shell builtin and doesn't need to fork.

useful one to remember, thanks tedu.

I kind of wish that pkill was too this time, but worked around it with Ted's help. All is good in the end and I learn something new today!

Yes, I can use it, but I can't figure out the process ID. I am trying to understand the man page on this to kill the group 67, or www.

there are other builtins, too:
$ for i in /var/run/*.pid;do read x < $i; echo $i $x; done

I guess that wouldn't have been of any help in case of ntpd, or bgpd right as they don't use pid. (;> I know Henning doesn't like pid.

If you really need to find httpd's pid, you could sacrifice one of
your two shells to 'exec ps ax'. Although maybe 'exec reboot' is all
you really need.

Man said

That's for /bin/kill rather than the shell builtin (though neither
manpage really helps with your present situation).

So, there wasn't any way to kill a group via kill using the group ID itself then right?

Just trying to learn from my mistakes should that even happen again in the future. Hopefully never, but knowledge is always a good thing.

Many thanks.

Daniel