I had only one memory stick in there.  I swapped it out
with another memory stick, still errors.  I swapped it
out with a third, still errors.  Possibly all memory is
subpar.  It was just what I had laying around.  All sticks
could be bad.

> The symptoms you describe sound like classic hardware problems,
> however, I see a couple things worthy of note in your dmesg:
>
> > -----
> > OpenBSD 4.0 (GENERIC) #1107: Sat Sep 16 19:15:58 MDT 2006
> >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> > cpu0: AMD Duron(tm) Processor ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class, 64KB L2 cache)
> > 1.61 GHz
> > cpu0:
> > FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE
>
> No idea why, but I've seen a number of AMD systems of that
> vintage which were temperamental about their RAM.  Wasn't that
> the RAM was bad...but the system bus timing was off in some
> way.
>
> Curiously, these machines had more-than-usual amounts of clock
> speed control, and they seemed to settle down by cranking down
> the clock speed a tad.  You won't miss it, really.

I have set the front side bus to be 200, instead of 266 and
am re-running the memory tests.

> > rl0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10: irq 12, address
> > 00:e0:06:f6:bf:3e
> > rlphy0 at rl0 phy 0: RTL internal PHY
>
> That looks bad.  IRQ12 is used by mouse hardware...

No mouse plugged in or used.  Never will be.

JohnM

--
john mendenhall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]