> Um, can you site a single *real world* example of where md5 sums
> have been co-opted in any way?  Yes, md5 now has a weakness, but
> really, are there any cases of anyone having actually exploited it?

It's that kind of attitude that is responsible for probably more than
half of the breaches that happen.  "Show me someone who wants to
attack _my_ company; there's nothing here worth getting!"

Attackers don't care.  They'll often exploit something for the sake
of having done it.  They don't see a company (usually).  They see a
machine they can gain control of and use for their own means.

MD5 is proven weak.  It's possible to take almost any file and its
MD5 then create an identically sized file with the same hash in a
reasonable time.  This can be used to pass out an arbitrary CD
image that completely trashes the contents of your hard disk.  It
doesn't even need to be OpenBSD on the CD.

This isn't about IF the problem will occur, but WHEN!  There is a known
exploit and anybody who doesn't take steps to mitigate that now is just
crazy (or lazy).

The original point is that BitTorrent makes it easy to seed this kind
of crap.  Torrent not an official source, but you can easily create
OpenBSD-4.1.torrent from your new file with a matching MD5 to the
official and sit back and laugh as people start posting to the openbsd
forums "j00 1337 BSD h4x0rz are w4nx0rz for 3r4z1ng my d15k5"

> I'm not an expert on this, but I do read.  Enlightenment is encouraged
> if I'm missing something here.

Explains the paragraph above :)

Cheers,
Adam