Michael Dexter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have found references to: /pub/OpenBSD/3.6/tools/booteasy suggesting that
> it was part of the distribution but I do not see it listed for 3.7 and newer.
> I do not see a 3.7 changelist entry for it and I the online man pages to not
> seem to refer to it. From the looks however, it was an official OpenBSD boot
> manager.
>
> I fold! What was it and what happend to it?

wrap your lines...

It was a third-party boot manager, included for convenience
of the users.  It was most certainly not an "official OpenBSD
boot manager".  It was never in the CVS tree, it was never
maintained by OpenBSD developers, it was just slapped in for
people in case they needed it.  It seems they don't.

However, from memory and a little superficial checking,
  1) It wasn't LBA capable (OpenBSD newly was then)
  2) License was uncertain/non-existent
  3) It was relatively unmaintained
  4) there are lots of other boot managers out there

Since it was removed, I think you are the first person to notice
its absence.  Heck, it took you this long to notice!  If
developers had been testing or maintaining it, that would have
been wasted effort.  If developers hadn't been testing and
maintaining it, it would be unmaintained junk we were shipping.
Neither is good.

Haven't found much use for a "boot manager" myself.  But then,
there are over 20 computers in this room, and this isn't
the storage area...multibooting is a complete waste of time
for me. :)  (argh. just counted, without getting out of my
chair, more like 30 computers...probably more.  At least eight
different platforms.  I need help.)

Nick.