My new Thinkpad T60 laptop has the same issue as well, with an ATI video
card. I don't mind a stretched console font, but the display was stretched,
and nothing I did fixed it. I tried everything in the thread to no avail. It
was largely unusable, personally, because the stretched fonts were hard to
read.

Via random surfing I gathered that the Linux people have the exact same
problem - they all use the proprietary ATI Linux drivers to fix it, which
I'm both unable and unwilling to do.

I guess the only solution is to wait for ATI to release documentation/wait
for somebody to reverse engineer it more?