Quoting Jimmy Mitchener ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Have you tried starting X several times in a row? I have this issue
> when I connect my external display to my laptop. Sometimes X comes up
> at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and sometimes it is at 56Hz and looks awful. The
> only solution seems to be to restart X several times, and eventually
> it gets it right. Sometimes it's not required, other times I have to
> restart X nearly 20 times. It seems pretty hit and miss. Hopefully
> this will improve with the new 965GM drivers =)

I have noticed the same randomized variation in output res and Hz when
restarting X several times but I have never seen it correctly start at
the resolution I want.. I haven't tried 20 times in a row, however.

I'm more or less at the point where I've ruled out that I'm doing
something obvious wrong.. sendbug is probably the only way to go from
here.

--
I prefer the dark of the night, after midnight and before four-thirty,
when it's more bare, more hollow.                http://a.mongers.org