> I would really recommend against using rdate like this, it jumps the
> clock. ntpd skews the clock (makes it run slightly fast or slow until
> the time is correct), so you don't miss out on any seconds (which
> sometimes skips cron jobs, makes logging more confusing, and can
> cause a lot of trouble with some other applications).

the -a option fixes the skew problem.

-a      Use the adjtime(2) call to gradually skew the local time to the
        remote time rather than just hopping.

I still recommend ntp if you need to continually update the clock.
It's always worked for me in the past.  Ntpd (AFIK) continually
monitors the difference between your clock and the remote server to
try and adjust the skew for a more accurate local clock.  Rdate doesn't.

Cheers,