On Wed, 16 May 2007 10:14:43 +1000
Darren Tucker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:36:15PM -0500, Eric Johnson wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a method of using skey for scp transfers (apart
> > from port forwarding through an ssh tunnel)?
> >
> > I've tried:
> >     scp username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/username/foo.bar .
> > and
> >     scp "username:skey"@host.example.com:/home/username/foo.bar .
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> I don't use skey so I can't test it but this will probably work:
>
> scp -o User="username:skey" host.example.com:/home/username/foo.bar .

Thanks.  I'll try that.

I'm curious how much, if any, setting "PasswordAuthentication no" in
the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and always using skey to connect remotely
will increase security by limiting the chances of someone guessing a
password on some of my servers.

My passwords (actually passphrases) are generally not something someone
is going to guess.  It is more likely that they would obtain the
password by other means.  I figure that requiring skey to connect will
severely limit the usefulness someone might get should they somehow
manage to obtain my passwords.

Eric