On 2007/05/29 22:10, mufurcz wrote:
> Are the Sun Fire X2100 (1 x AMD Opteron,  Model 175, dual core 2.26 MHz CPU)
> servers fully supported?  I am interested in booth - good and bad
> experiences
> with this boxes.  If you don't want to generate noise on this group, please
> e-mail to me personally.

works ok, one nic is nfe(4) which works but isn't the world's greatest.
if you want decent remote management get an x4xxx (non-M2), you lose use
of the better nic on the x2100 if you plug in the ipmi card, and the
remote management on these isn't really good enough to be worth that.

the (optional) rack mounting kit is well thought through (and so it
should be at that price!)

if you have a recent bios that lets you set the low-temp fan duty
cycle to 0% to quieten things down while you do the initial install,
make sure the 'power off if cpu fan fails' option is turned off or
you'll have an aggravating 'enter the bios at just the right time'
session.

if anyone has a working PXE bios-flash setup for these and wouldn't
mind sharing how, please drop me a line, when I try the system hangs
after memdisk loads the bios-flash image.

latest bios on sun's ftp site fixes erratum 89, first time I've seen
an amd64 box boot without it. and hooray: the bios *defaults* to using
serial console, so you don't lose access if the CMOS battery dies.
other vendors would do well to copy that idea.