On 5/28/07, Woodchuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I wonder if this setup will allow you to do dhcp.  Probably during
boot, (before it takes effect, when the rules in /etc/rc are active),
but afterwards, not.

Typically, dhclient(8) uses the bpf(4) devices and is not troubled by
PF's ruleset. If I'm not mistaken, this behaviour is hinted at in the
man page.

This might be an issue.  I dunno how dhcp communicates, don't use it myself.

If you're interested, you may want to see RFC 2131 and RFC 2132. In
short: DHCP uses UDP datagrams to/from ports 67 and 68.

Typically, conversations start with a discovery (broadcast by the
client). An active DHCP server may then provide a lease offer.
Normally, the client requests the address listed in the offer. If all
goes well, the server acknowledges the request.

Cheers,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.