On 5/29/07, Leon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to OpenBSD and I'm trying to setup a traffic shaping router using pf
and altq. The question I want to ask is: Can the kernel interrupt timer be
increased from 100 hz? and if so how do I do that? I though there would have
been a sysctl tunable variable like kern.hz that could do this. I read
somewhere that altq operates best when the clock interrupts are at 1000hz

Where did you read that altq works better with a 1kHz clock - I have
zero deployments of altq where I've found myself saying "gosh, I wish
I had finer timers". 100Hz works plenty good enough. I've seen
otherwise capable machines be crippled by people who thought that 1kHz
or faster was a good idea...

Also, this hackathon we've been making pf (and the network stack in
general) go faster by having fewer interrupts. So, yes, the clock rate
can be increased. It is left as an exercise to the reader to do so. It
is further left as an exercise to prove that this is desirable.

CK