On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 08:02:08AM -0600, Diana Eichert wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> >However, sendmail is a very steep and tall learning curve.  I'm coming
> >from Debian (which no longer installes with 32 MB ram) so I'm used to
> >exim.  I know that exim is GPL.  I'm wondering if there are other
> >BSD-licensed MTAs.
>
> Hmmm, actually, I don't believe sendmail has a "steep and tall learning
> curve". ;-)  It's just that you don't grok it yet.
>
> You're almost there since you know you want to use a smarthost.  For
> example copy /usr/share/sendmail/cf/openbsd-localhost.mc to another
> file /usr/share/sendmail/cf/BobFoo-localhost-SMART_HOST.mc, define
> dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `MYMAINBOX-FQDN')dnl ,build a new .cf file,
> BobFoo-localhost-SMART_HOST.cf . Move the new file to /etc/mail , add
> sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -C/etc/mail/BobFoo-localhost-SMART_HOST.cf -bd
> -q30m"
> to /etc/rc.conf.local restart sendmail and VOILA!
>
> It's not hard at all and you will also get the satisfaction of leaning new
> and wonderful SysAdmin skills.

It may not be hard at all, but its a lot more work than answering exim's
config questions.  I don't suppose there's a BSD sendmail configurator
script that guides one through this?  Yes, I know, everything I need to
get sendmail working is alread on my system in the form of manpages,
READMEs, other docs, and the stuff between my ears.

The other issue is that I would _like_ to be able to set up sendmail
since if I were installing OBSD on a raw system after some catastrophy,
I may want access to mail before I've set up ports and installed
something like exim.  Lots to ponder.

Thanks all,

Doug.