On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 06:02:59PM -0500, Emilio Perea wrote:
> I follow -current on an i386 at work and an amd64 at home, and rarely
> run into any problem which is not self-inflicted.  So when I had a weird
> experience this weekend, I assumed it was my fault.
>
> What happened was that after the usual sequence of [build kernel;
> reboot; build userland; reboot] the system complained that it could not
> fsck wd1j and dropped into single-user mode.  wd1j is mounted on
> /usr/obj, and I thought that something in the last build had messed it
> up, so I ran "newfs wd1j" and got
>
>  newfs: /dev/rwd1j: Device not configured
>
> "disklabel wd1" showed partitions d-i and k-p, but no j.  I added the
> partition, ran newfs, and everything seemed fine.  This afternoon I
> installed the i386 snapshot downloaded this morning (dated Jun 3 19:19)
> on the work pc, and after reboot it was missing the /usr/obj partition
> (sd0g in this case).
>
> Everything seems to be working fine on both computers, but I didn't
> expect the partitions to disappear.  Did nobody else run into this
> "problem"?  Or did everybody else who saw it thought it was too obvious
> to mention it to the mailing list?

I had a similar problem on sparc64 with a snapshot from jun 2. The
system was unable to fsck some partitions and dropped to single user
mode.
Here the problems were with the /usr, /var, /tmp and /home partitions.
Some further (and larger partitions) weren't affected.

I installed an older snapshot.

Any suggestions how to get this fixed or what to test/try?

Regards,
Markus