To: <misc@openbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:21 AM
Subject: OpenBSD router playing up

Hi All,

I have a strange issue. We are using a OpenBSD 3.9 box running on an
AMD64 CPU. Its doing BGP with our upstream provider and has some basic
pf rules.

Occasionally, the network slows to a crawl. I setup some external
monitoring, and while a few simple HTTP checks of boxes on our network
normally take a second or 2 (from 2 separate locations outside our
network), this just went up to over 100 seconds and was only resolved
by restarting the box.

I'm learning this stuff, so am super keen if a) this is normal
behavior (I'm guessing not) and b) how can I work out what is causing
the problems? I've checked messages, and there is nothing strange in
there (just some ftp-proxy 'client reset connection' and 'server
refused connection' messages) and daemon (a few BGP updates not many).
On restart, I get a flood of BGP updates.

Where should I be looking? Should I just restart bgpd next time or
does this seem like something else?? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers!
Karl