Henning Brauer [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> int mitigation has always made quite some difference, but now it is even
> more, I agree.

I could never see a difference on Soekris boxes with a 400 us delay in if_sis
in earlier OpenBSD versions.  But I never tried higher delays than that.

> nontheless sis is not far up from rl. far away from the real ones.

I'd love to believe you, but tell me what you base this assertion on.

Is this with real world comparisons of the same hardware running sis
and rl (and a "real" chip like fxp...) ?  if_rl does m_copydata() and
bzero() all the time, where if_sis does not have to.  The equivalent
routine in if_sis (sis_encap) is about half the size.  The whole sis driver
is very simple and doesn't appear to do anything outrageous to support
the chip.

Is the bzero call where if_rl pads the frames in rl_encap a candidate to
move to memset which gcc can better optimize?  Hmm, it's only called for small
packets that need to be padded to the minimum size for if_rl.

> > One thing vr doesn't support is an interrupt hold off
>
> which disqualifies it for any serious routing tasks.

There may be another way to do this with if_vr.