Adam wrote:
Daniel Ouellet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Time have show my over and over that candidate that need to justify what they know by papers are not the one that get the job done when you are in crisis and as such, that become my quick filter before the interview as to who not to invite.

That's just as stupid as requiring people have a cert.  Lots of people have
certs because so many places toss your resume if you don't have "MCSE" or
"CCNA" listed on it.  Just because they have a cert doesn't mean they don't
know what they're doing.

No it does not. The difference is the one that got the CERT because it was required, simply doesn't spend all their times flashing it left and right and signing all their emails with the full lists of them to show it off. Admin that know their stuff don't need CERT to justify what they know, it's just the start of knowing what to do. It's not a mean to the end if you want. I saw many that express clearly that they don't need to learn more as they go their CERT and they will tell you that they need to renew it every few years and that's how they stay on top.

I would tell you that proper Admin don't use their CERT to polish their resume, but will show what they can do and what they know without them and will simply add them as an add on in annex to their CV.

Not to bust your bubble, but really, that's what I do and I never regretted it yet once! The best candidate are always the one that can explain it without fuss, show you by example and just get it done without the needs to put themselves on a pedestal!

Getting a cert isn't putting themselves on a pedestal, its filling a stupid
requirement for alot of jobs.  How are people supposed to guess wether or
not to list their certs when applying for any given job to get past the
mindless resume filtering dummies?

I agree with your statement for some job requiring this, I would simply say that way to many thinks that having the CERT is all that is required and it's not. I guess you know that you can try to pass your MCSE every month and always get the same tests, so failing multiple times until pass, doesn't mean the person gets it. Granted, not everyone is like that, but the real difference is the one that gets the CERT because they have to, and the one that gets it because they think it's the best thing after the slice bread and that having it will not required them to learn anything else.

It come down to, where do you put your CERT in your CV, on top, or in annex?

The Admin that really know their stuff, will put them just as an other stone in their knowledge, but sadly most will put it on top and as first to justify they are good and know what you need and these same one will also put in to all their emails, business cards, walls, where ever.

I didn't mean to insult you or anything, if I did, then my apology to you, I simply stated a real fact of life in ways that sadly to many use their CERT in the wrong way.

It's just like graduating from engineering school. Most graduate think they know all there is to know and now they can do any jobs, I say and proved that many times over in my own life, that when you graduate, even with honor, just know just to well how to start learning now and you will do for the rest of your life. If that same person don't like that, then he/she sure pick the wrong field!

Hope that clarify my previous statement.

Best,

Daniel