Hello,

I was setting up a central logserver this afternoon and some of the
functionality I need wasn't in the stock syslogd(8), so I chose to use
syslog-ng.

I noticed that you cannot specify syslogd=NO or syslogd_flags=NO to
disable it (in rc.conf.local), and I was mostly curious why.

I'm sure it has something to do with the gap between when things start
up and may need to log vs. when the local startup happens -- if that's
true, what is the suggested way around that?

Originally I thought to simply keep syslogd enabled, but syslog-ng
will not be able to start in that case.

Is my best option to kill syslogd from rc.local or manually edit /etc/rc?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kian