Dear all,

sorry to break the thread, but I did not have the originating message in my
mailinglist folder anymore. Nonetheless, I want to reply to "carlopmart" who
wrote on 2007-Jun-07:

>  Last night my openbsd 4.1 has crashed and I don't know why. I am using
>  this openbsd as a part of two carped firewalls.
>
>  Crash dump:
>
>  kernel:  page fault trap code=0
>  Stopped at pfsync_insert_net_state+0x451: movl 0(%eax,%edx,4),%edx

I experienced *exactly* the same problem.

As I'm using a modified kernel also, I'm not sure if this is an official
OpenBSD bug. Therefore, I switched the boxes back to GENERIC kernels for the
time being, waiting for one of them to possibly break down again. Since the
problem is not reproducable, it's hard to say if it only affects non-GENERIC
kernel builds.

We are running a classic carped firewall setup. As I can't file bugreports
with customized kernels, I just wanted to give you this note.

Differences between the customized kernel and GENERIC are:

# option                LKM             # loadable kernel modules
# option                EXT2FS          # Second Extended Filesystem
# option                MFS             # memory file system
# option                XFS             # xfs filesystem
# option                NFSCLIENT       # Network File System client
# option                NFSSERVER       # Network File System server
# option                INET6           # IPv6 (needs INET)
# option                PPP_BSDCOMP     # PPP BSD compression
# option                PPP_DEFLATE
# pseudo-device sppp    1               # Sync PPP/HDLC
# pseudo-device ppp                     # PPP
# pseudo-device sl                      # CSLI
# pseudo-device pppoe   1               # PPP over Ethernet (RFC 2516)

I also stripped down drivers I do not need, like soundcards, USB- and
firewiredevices or buses I do not have, pretty much just to the things that
are built into this box and really needed.

Kind regards,
Jens

--
Jens Mayer, Mannheim, Germany

WWW: http://blog.basquiat.de    | GPG: 0x0E4D824B
ICQ: 22849810                   | JID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]