On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:01:47 -0600, "Theo de Raadt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > >   Oh, a directed spam campaign. perfect. that will endear us to our
> > > users.  Please return to marketing school from whence you came, and
> > > think
> > > before you suggest such things.
> >
> > A open source entity asking for donations from commercial entities
> > with whom they already
> > have a business relationship is not spam. Theo indicated he wished to
> > somehow coalesce and
> > redirect appeals so they would result in lump sums and/or machines
> > rather than a trickle
> > of small user donations. The suggested technique might be effective
> > at achieving Theo's
> > goals.
>
> The idea you suggested takes a lot of time and effort.
>
> We're already spending a lot of time and effort writing things
> we give away.
>
> Noone is going to change their mind based on some campaign.  They're
> already selfish enough to use free software and believe that there is
> no benefit in being the ones to give anything back.  Someone else will
> give back, and things will keep moving along, that's what they assume.
>
> No campaign will fix that.

And what are SA's to do? I am so far away from anyone that could cut a
check for such a thing it's ridiculous. My managers manager probably
couldn't even get such a thing done. I love OBSD, but I also like my
job and want to keep it. "BIG" corporations will never be your answer.
It will have to come from some medium sized company where the CEO's
aren't completely detached from their work force and are technically
savvy enough to see how it might benefit them. If anybody knows of
anybody like that please chime in. I don't.