This thread had started with a root-on-raid problem, where the disklabel
was not being acquired properly.

Ken Westerback determined that I'd had a disklabel marked as Version 1, but
I had values from Version 0 for my failing partitions.  Editing the disklabel
and replacing fsize/bsize/cpg seemed to resolve my issue.

I now think I understand exactly how the old partition data structure ended
up in a new format partition; the affected partitions were restored via
newfs/restore, and that is the most likely culprit.... as the restore was
of a pre-ffs2 environment, executed from a post-ffs2 system.

Thank you, Ken!