On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:48:20AM -0700, John N. Brahy wrote:
> I know when it comes down to it, it's only hiding ports and not actually
> securing anything.

There, you've hit the nail on the head.

But it's worse. Go find some people using port knocking - you probably
know some. Ask them if they can shut if off for a month. I bet a good
portion will say "No! I have sshd from 2002 on there! No way!" So while
port knocking doesn't add (much) insecurity itself (apart from a chance
of having an exploit in the knocker), it certainly *seems* to have a
high correlation with unsecured systems. Anecdotal, but there it is.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/