Hi,

I am about to but a second hand thinkpad x40 which looks pretty good
_and_ has APM support (!!). Of course OpenBSD will be installed on it.

Now, the German ebayer is a nice person and I can actually choose
what's going to be the wireless card!

Until now I have only tried intel chips, so that you have to install
the firmware and everything is working fine. But if I can choose, I'd
like to have a 100% blob-less system. And also to show the vendors
that they have a public!

I have been googling, clustying and reading man pages to find a recent
update of the list of wireless cards which would fulfill this and I
have found out that the wireless devices that either do not require
firmware, or that have runtime firmware that OpenBSD is allowed to
distribute are:

* atu (4) - Atmel AT76C50x USB IEEE 802.11b wireless network device
* ral (4) - Ralink Technology IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
(2nd gen 802.11 Ralink)
* rum (4) - Ralink Technology USB IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless network device
* zyd (4) - Zydas ZD1211 USB IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device

Is this the whole list of "blob-less" devices?

And another question: How do these devices compare to the intel pro
ones? Are they as powerful?

Thanks for your attention...