On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 12:40:56PM -0700, John Mendenhall wrote:
> I booted an ultimate boot disk, with several small linux distros
> on them.  None of them found the card.

I'd personally go with a full-sized Linux distro, as it's more likely to
have a complete driver set, but it does seem more like a hardware issue now.

> I reseated the card.  No go.
> I tried another card I had, same model.  Nothing.
> I am doing this in a 1U box, so there is a pci 1u
> riser card.  Could it be the riser is bad?  Or,
> could the pci slot itself be bad?

Yes it's possible. (But then again, I think you said the motherboard had an
on-board NIC too, and that wasn't working either?)

> What is the best way to test the pci slot?

If you remove the motherboard from its case, can you insert a PCI card
directly, not using the riser?

If you have a PCI card which definitely works in another unit (say something
which appears as fxp0 in another box), so much the better.

Given that your on-board LAN isn't working either, maybe the motherboard has
a serious fault. But you might not be able to return it until you can prove
that *Windows* can't find any network cards either :-)

Regards,

Brian.