Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>On 2007/06/30 12:46, Fredrik Staxeng wrote:
>> Googling gives a lot of references to SASL. Do I really have to go
>> down that road to do something as simple as this?
>
>for smtp auth, yes.

OK.

>but for a simple use like this, why not just
>ssh-tunnel instead?

Two answers:
a) Thunderbird does not support that natively, so that means more complex
setup on the client side. (Especially since the client runs Windows).
b) I like using the standard way whenever that is adequate. All of the
mail clients my mother might have heard of supports port 587/tls/auth.

On 4.0 I used the postfix-sasl package. But you see, I am really
impessed by OpenBSD's proudest boast "Only two remote holes in the default
install, in more than 10 years!". But that caveat, "in the default install",
excludes the packages. And you only need one vulnerability to get exploited.

So get the full benefit of the excellent security work of the OpenBSD
developers, I should not really have any code from packages in the
network services, either directly (postfix) or indirectly (cyrus-sasl).
Unfortunately, the default install does not support imap, so I need at
least one package anyway. I would like to avoid cyrus-sasl if possible
though, since that is way more complexity than I need.

I'll look through packages and try to find something that fits.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
This is all you need to know about vi: ESC : q ! RET